MAN. SPACE. NATURE.
Our mission is to challenge
all boundaries between space
& nature. The inside and outside.
Nature, people & environment,
are our main design materials.
Nature inclusivity is the aim.
Studio NousNous is about designing green & healthy interior and exterior spaces. Achieving this by applying the biophilic design principles. Integrating natural elements and processes into our built environment, will trigger a strong positive impact on our health and well-being. Biophilic design can be implemented in different ways and on many scales. From home interiors, gardens and offices. To retail environments, healthcare, public spaces, hospitality, parks and much more. All these places and moments (big or small) that we call 'layers and touchpoints'. Will gradually and eventually form the healthy biophilic cities that will mark the new future.READ MORE
Biophilic design is a design methodology based on “Biophilia: The Love of Life and all living systems.” We design to remind and reconnect humans with nature again. By bringing elements of nature inside the space. Using evidence-based-design to create beautiful healing spaces.
Online e.Design is a worldwide service. It is about designing spaces, inside and outside. With the entire process done online. Ideal for who lives both near or far and want the experience of our qualified biophilic design studio. Without having to have meetings and visits. All by mail.
LEAF+LAB research is our engine for “green” concepting on different scale . The goal is to encourage sustainable behaviour. When designing to encourage this behaviour, it is fundamental to gain a thorough understanding of; user habits and interaction behaviours..
Studio NousNous (Hakim El Amrani) is a Dutch Biophilic design & research studio The work is at the intersection of interiors, architecture and landscape. Challenging all boundaries between the inside and outside. Interweaving elements of nature in every step of the daily lives of residents. We focus on green cities that reduce emmisions, enhance community engagement and improve our wellbeing.
• Biophilic Design (Nature inspired inclusive design. Ranging from objects and furniture to interiors for offices, homes, retail, healthcare, tiny houses, public spaces and more.. Human centered evience-based design with a strong unique identity.)
• E. Design (Worldwide spatial design service. Easy, fast and remote. All communication is done online. From concept to full service design.)
• LEAF+LAB (Research and rapport. Consulting and generating concepts that encourage sustainable behaviour. Contributing to a better world, climate and less waste using design & data.)
We have a strong focus on :
1. Objects & Furniture
3. Tiny Houses
4. Gardens & Parcs
5. Public Spaces
7. Nature Prints & Patterns
Biophilic design is a design approach (methodology) that comes from "Biophilia". The biophilia hypothesis proposes that most humans have an innate love of nature. We long for it and without connecting with it, our health could suffer. So with Biophilic design we re-connect with nature. By bringing nature inside our homes, offices, schools, hospitals, gardens, public spaces, architecture, infrastructures etc. It can be a direct contact, an abstract contact or an in-direct contact with nature.
You might also have come across the word Biomimicy. Do know that Biomimicry is another discipline within the same family "connecting with nature". It is about “mimicry,” or more accurately, the emulation of life’s engineering. In contrast, biophilic design describes humans 'connection with nature' and biophilic is replicating experiences of nature in design to reinforce that connection.
Biomimicry is an innovation method to achieve better performance, more about how nature functions; biophilic design is an evidence-based design method to improve health and wellbeing. Biomimicry is more heavily used in technology and product development circles; biophilic design applies more directly to interior design, architecture, and urban design. Biophilic design is an applied solution to appease this desire for nature by integrating natural elements and processes into the built environment.
By using Biophilic design principles you can create a healthy nurturing space. Not every space can be designed to incorporate all the biophilic principles, but try to apply as many as you can.
The 14 patterns are grouped into three categories:
A.) Nature in the space
1. Visual Connection with Nature
2. Non-Visual Connection with Nature
3. Non-Rhythmic Sensory Stimuli
4. Access to Thermal & Airflow Variability
5. Presence of Water
6. Dynamic & Diffuse Light
7. Connection with Natural Systems
B.) Natural Analogues
8. Biomorphic Forms & Patterns
9. Material Connection with Nature
10. Complexity & Order
C.) Nature of the space
E. Design is an online design service that Studio NousNous offers, mainly for smaller spaces inside and outside. Worldwide.
Because the entire design process is online and communication with client is by email. It gives opportunities to work together all over the world. There are no boundaries. Studio NousNous has been applying this process before Covid-19. We believe that clients, that just want to tackle that particular not-so-big space for years, also have to be able to receive a healthy "green" design for an affordable price.
1. No time restrictions. The space can come together at your chosen pace. Whether you want to run the space(s) at night or in 2 years from start to finish. You set the pace. Once the plan we designed is complete, it is in your hands. You decide whether to continue with our exact suggestions or use them as inspiration to find something else. You are in control.
2. It's relaxing + comfortable + non-intimidating. As soon as we correspond via email, you send the photos + dimensions of the space(s) you want to work on, completely at your leisure. No worries that every space is super clean or 'perfect'. There is no need to make an appointment. All contact is by mail.
3. It's affordable. Working with an designer is often considered very expensive and only for those with huge budgets, but that's not always true. When you work with us, you get the expertise of a well-trained, professional designer in a very affordable way. Partly because the entire process takes place online and via e-mail.
4. You do some of the work. You complete a detailed design questionnaire that provides all the necessary information to create the design idea. You also send photos and measurements of your chosen space. This reduces a significant amount of work that a conventional designer would normally do and charge for. We collect the information and research to create a unique space or spaces and you just have to run it and wait for the deliveries (furniture, materials, lightning, etc. etc.)!
5. It's an 'idea'. You only pay for an idea. The idea of the spaces(s) provides a "look" and the products are our suggestions. Some customers use some elements of the design; others buy all the recommended products, while others just want some inspiration. If you need custom-designed furniture, no problem! We deliver those drawings and presentations as well! That freedom is yours!